Before the Ride
- Familiarize yourself with the route, either by driving or riding.
- If you cannot lead your scheduled ride, arrange for another rider to substitute for you. If you cannot find a substitute, call your ride coordinator.
- If you have a club jersey, please wear it
- Arrive at the starting place at least 10 minutes early. Bring these materials:
- Sign-up sheet
- Two parental permission sheets
- Plenty of maps / cue sheets
- Two or three membership forms (printed from website)
- One LAB accident report form
You may submit and invoice for photocopying and mailing ride leader materials to the club treasurer for reimbursement.
As People Arrive
- Introduce yourself and give all non-members an RBC membership form.
- Get everyone to sign up
- Ask to see a signed parental form for riders under 18
Start of the Ride
When it appears that everyone has arrived, review the safety rules:
Describe the route
- Ride single file on busy roads and stay to the right
- Use hand and verbal signals to make riders and drivers aware of your intentions
- Obey all traffic laws, including stop signs and lights
- Do not snake through stopped traffic
- Point out potholes, obstacles, glass, etc to the riders behind you
- Cross rail road tracks at a right angle
- Never overlap wheels
- Wear helmets properly, not loose or pushed back on the head
- Riders should inform the ride leader if they are going to stop or leave the route
- If riders under 15 are present, explain to parents that their child is their responsibility and they must ride directly behind or in front of their child
- Where the rest or refreshment stops are
- Places to gather where the group may likely break apart
- Heavy traffic areas
During the Ride
- Keep track of riders. If a group of fast riders jump off the front, they are responsible for following the map and staying on route
- If you ride at the front, appoint another rider to "sweep" at the rear
- If you lose track of someone, try to drive or bike back over the route to locate them. If you cannot, call them when you return home.
- If you encounter problems with irresponsible or unsafe riders correct them in the interest of other riders' safety and the club's liability.
While it is not your role to do repairs, you may have new riders who do not have spare inner tubes, patch kits, nor pumps. They also may not know how to use them. Be helpful when possible
After the Ride
- Solicit comments and write them on the back of the sign-up sheet
- Call any riders you lost
- Note any corrections to the cue sheet and send a corrected copy to your ride coordinator
- Let the ride coordinator know who may be interested in leading rides
- Mail sign-up sheet to ride coordinator